A friend in Oita told me that there is an inner sea between Oita 大分 and Kobe 神戸, so there is overnight ferry from Oita to Kobe at very affordable price. I can then transfer from Kobe to Kyoto 京都. Therefore, I tried to pack as lightly as possible, and took off to Kobe on the evening of October 6th.
Due to serious turbulance and strong currents, the ferry was delayed for 2 hours......
Because of this though, I saw Golden Gate Bridge in Japan. Well, I have no idea about the name of this bridge. I just thought it looks like it. ^^
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->October 7th, 2006
As soon as I arrived, Taiko and I met up. Taiko took me to the famous kinkakuji 金閣寺near her apartment. Yup it is really gold! Shimmering under the sun! Taiko told me that the building used to be a cottage house for a shogun 将軍. The outside is put up by a special gold-leafing technique. Now it is considered a national treasure.
Another shot if it, with beautiful pine trees and back drop.
Anyone knows whwat kind of roof this is? Yes, it is thatch! I would not know about this if I didn't teach Social studies 8 this year. It really is not common to see thatched roof nowadays.
Then Taiko took me to a zen garden, called Ryoanji 龍安寺. I really liked it there. Before I knew nothing about zen. Only to know that it is a study about peace in the surroundings. After visiting Ryoanji, I learned that zen is more about self-realization and the environment. I particularly like this one. It says 吾唯知足- can be translated to be we only know to be content. More pictures to come!!
No comments:
Post a Comment