Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My first enkai 宴会

Have you ever seen Japanese style social gathering on Japanese drama? Looks familiar? I was invited by my base school to a social gathering to celebrate the success of the anual cultural festival at the school. Wonder what the long hall space in the middle is for? Well, it is for people to go around and pour others drinks and to talk. So, the teachers that went on that night really went table to table to talk to each other. I am never comfortable with this kind of events and especially I had to speak Japanese. So, I just sat at my table for people to come talk to me.


k, enough with the customs. The food they served that night was really extravagent. First, we started with some seafood salad mix and tempura.

Then workers in kimono dress came in to light a nabe pot for us. It had mochi, rice noodles and some mushrooms.


Of course it is not Japanese food without sashimi. this was my favourite dish that night.

Well, they also served like 3 main dishes (though the portion was small), but I was too busy eating and forgot to take pictures.....


Last but not least, a light soup of taro root and dried bean to finish the night.

Another thing I found really funny was that everyone there was busy socializing and nobody cared to eat. So, they all left the food to cool and rushed it down at the end of the night. How strange eh?

No comments: