Friday, April 25, 2008

Debate tournament

Last week our school had an invitational debate tournament with another school in the district. I was invited to judge the junior teams. It was my first time watching a debate as a judge, so everything was a different perspective to me. From this tournament, I learned that words are powerful and it is possible to BS way through your life, if you know the right words and say them in the right place. I had a great deal of fun watching students debate some very mature topics and interpreting difficult philosophical quotes in their impromptus. It was also very cruel to see some less able students lose their cool and "argue" their way through just to win. Debate is not about winning, it is about convincing the audience the topic addressed.

So, here is a topic for all you readers of my blog out there, "Should we agree that Udonstock is corny?". Remember, debate is not about winning....

1 comment:

RiceCake said...

This is not even a topic to debate because udonstock IS corny. And, that is a FACT, period..