Saturday, May 19, 2007

Hokkaido 3

After blow glass workshop, Matt and I took "rope bus" (yeah, literally bus on rope) up to Tengu moutain to see the Tengu shrine and play with chipmunks in the shrine garden. As you can see in the picture, there was still snow up on the moutain, so.... chipmunks were not out yet!!!!! Ah, again, we were greatly disappointed.

Tengu is a god-faced god with a very long nose. He is believed to bring good luck and drive away evil spirits. I don't care what them Japanese say about Tengu god though, he sure is some ugly creature. Doesn't the long nose remind you of something?....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 2nd, 2007, cloudy

The last night in a new place is usually the night for shopping souvenirs . While wondering along Tanuki street, I stumbled across a Ainu craft store. Ainu is the only Aboriginal tribe still in Japan. They mostly reside in Hokkaido. I really liked the things they sell at this store, reminded me of Aboriginal craft back home.

One extremely interesting thing I found while shopping was this thing in the picture. Can you guess what it is? If you have a good Japanese dictionary, you will see it just means a ball of algae. And yes, they are just balls of algae. I asked a friend why these are a tourist feature in Sapporo, she told because because they have lots of them.....But why? they are not really cute, and they don't move.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
May 3rd, 2007, sunny

Our last meal before leaving Hokkaido was Sapporo's feature food- Genghis Kahn Grill. Genghis Kahn Grill is lamb barbeque on a dome shaped grill (thus the name). You can see in the picture all the vegetables are on the side absorbing the grease from the lamb. I think it is such a great idea to cook the vegetables and everything is so yum yum yum.

Overall, I would say I had a good trip, and am glad that we got to see a lot of other things we were not expecting to see. Goes to tell sometimes careful planning might not work out!

Here is a picture of my feeble attempt on my first blow glass!

2 comments:

RiceCake said...

Are the balls of algae for food?? and I miss my white Addi.. hahaha

Udonstock said...

I don't see why you can't eat them, but I wouldn't....What Addi lah, it's MINE!